How to Perform a Self-Test
After your CoaguChek® XS meter is set up with the date and time, and you’ve inserted the code chip that came with your test strips into the meter, follow these steps to perform a test.
- Insert a test strip into the meter. The meter will power on automatically.
- A code appears. Check the code on the display against the code on the test strip vial.
- Press the button for Match.
- An hourglass will flash as meter warms up.
- When you hear a beep, the meter is ready. You have 180 seconds (3 minutes) to apply blood to the clear window on the strip.
- Use a lancing device and a fresh lancet to get a drop of blood. Apply it to the test strip until the meter beeps.
- The meter will beep again and the result will appear.
- Report your results to your service provider online or over the phone.
Tips for getting a good blood sample:
- Warm your hand by holding it under your arm
- Use a hand warmer
- Wash your hands in warm, soapy water, then rinse and dry thoroughly before testing
- Gently shake your arm down at your side for about 30 seconds